Little India Singapore
Little India is along Serangoon Road, a place where the early migrants from India settled in Singapore.
It is not a big district but a place you ,MUST visit even if you are in Singapore for a short stay.
In fact, it is my favorite spot where I come every fortnightly for the good food and lovely bargains.
The best time to go Little India will be in the late afternoon and evening, when the weather is cooler and you will get to see more activities in action.
If you wish to visit the Indian Hindu Temples, note the timing as some may close in the afternoon such as Sri Veerama Kaliamman Temple.
Shops and businesses open after 9am and you are at Little-India Serangoon Road early in the morning, we suggest you to visit Mustafa Centre which opens 24 hours.
Food Stalls opens for business early serving breakfast. Famous outlets such as Ananda Bhavan serving Indian vegetarian food.
How to get there
MRT North East Line Little India and Farrer Park Station. If you are going to Mustafa Centre, get off at Farrer Park Station and go to Exit G. Mustafa Centre is diagonally opposite to Exit G
The "Must Do" at Little-India
- Visit places of worship, many important Hindu temples and a number of Muslim Mosques around Little India
Sample all kinds of Indian food here.
Visit Tekka Market and check out the fresh supply. Many local Chinese love to shop here for the ultimate freshness of meat.
- Buy a young coconut and drink along the road side, the best way to cool you down from the Singapore hot weather!
- Check out the fabric and the ready made sarees. They follow the Bollywood trend very closely!
- Explore stalls selling spices. Turmeric powder is one of the most popular ingredient for Indian Food.
- Enjoy a cup of tea such as Teh-Tarik (pull tea), Masala Tea (tea with added spices) and Teh Halia (ginger tea).
- Ladies can get a henna painting on their hands and arms
- Visit Mustafa Shopping Centre, one of its kind and it operates 24 hours a day 365 days a year!
- Traditional Indian bangles are great souvenirs and they are inexpensive.
- Learn to eat like an Indian, with only your right hand and your first 4 fingers!
- Take lots of pictures here, and I am sure you will!
Little-India-Walking-Tour (Estimated 2 hours)
Navigation around Serangoon Road is easy, take your time to enjoy the wonderful sights and experience the life here.
- Get off at Little India MRT Station, walk along the main road and you will find Tekka Market.
- Walk to Buffalo Road and Kerbau Road, take a look at the different types of stalls. There are Indian Banana Leaf Vegetarian, Indian Spices shops, boutiques, beauty parlours and Gold Smiths.
- Walk along Serangoon Road and visit Sri Veerama Kaliamman Temple, the temple closes from 12:30 pm to 2 pm daily.
- The other side of Serangoon Road, lots of great Indian food and backpacker hotels.
- Around Campbell Lane, there is Little India Arcade selling souvenirs and food stuffs
- Go to Syed Alwi Road where the Mustafa Shopping Centre is. You will be amazed at the wide range of merchandises available.
- Have a drink at one of the food stalls facing the main road, and watch the world go by...
Back to Little India Top
Find out Things to do at Changi Airport. Click here...
Return to Attractions Home
Top 10 things to do in Singapore
Return to Singapore-culture-and-attractions Home